- “A simple principled approach for modeling and understanding uniform color metrics”, Smet, K., Webster, M. and Whitehead, L., Journal of the Optical Society of America A 33(3), 2016.
- “Why color space uniformity and sample set spectral uniformity are essential for color rendering metrics”, Smet, K., David, A. and Whitehead, L., Leukos 12(1-2), Oct. 2015.
- “Solid state lighting for illumination and displays: Opportunities and challenges for color excellence”, Whitehead, L., Information Display 2(15) (invited paper), May 2015.
- “Toward a replacement of the CIE color rendering index for white light sources”, Smet, K., Whitehead, L., Schanda, J. and Luo, R., Leukos, Apr. 2015.
- “High color rendering means better vision without more power”, Papamichael, K., Siminovitch, M., Veitch, J, and Whitehead, L., Leukos 21(1-2), Mar. 2015.
- “Tutorial: Color rendering and its applications in lighting”, Houser, K., Mossman, M., Smet, K. and Whitehead, L., Leukos 21(1-2), Jan. 2015.
- “CRI2012: A proposal for updating the CIE colour rendering index”, Smet, K., Schanda, J., Whitehead, L. and Luo, R., Lighting Research and Technology 45, Feb. 2013.
- “Methods for controlling extraction of light”, Emmel, J. and Whitehead, L, Applied Optics 52(34), Nov. 2013.
- “Electrically-controlled diffraction employing electrophoresis, supercapacitance, and total internal reflection,” Radel, J.C., and Whitehead, L.A., Applied Optics 52(31), Oct 2013.
- “The evolution of contralateral control of the body by the brain: Is it a protective mechanism?” Laterality: Asymmetries of Body, Brain and Cognition, Whitehead, L. and Banihani, S., Lancet Neurology 19, Aug 2013.
- “Chromaticity-Matched but Spectrally Different Light Source Effects on Simple and Complex Color Judgments”, Veitch, J.A., Whitehead, L.A., Mossman, M., and Pilditch, T.D., Color Research and Application 39(3), Jun. 2013.
- "Why Actually Do Stars Twinkle and Do The Stars Twinkle on Mars" American Journal of Physics, Vol.80, No. 11, 980-984 : Huizinga, J., Mossman, M., and Whitehead, L. November 2012
- "Characterization of Large Scale Interface Deformation from Electrostatic Modification of the Contact Angle of Pinned Contact Lines" American Institute of Physics, Vol.112: Ibarra-Bracamontes, Mossman and Whitehead. 2012
- "Transparent Superhydrophobic Surfaces for Applications of Controlled Reflectance" Optical Society of America, Vol.51 No.11 1645-1653: Gou, S., Mossman, M., and Whitehead, L. 4 April 2012.
- "Interpretation Concerns Regarding White Light" Wiley Periodicals, Inc. COLOR research and application. Vol.00, No.0: Whitehead, L. 2012
- "The Conservation of the Hollow Tree in Vancouvers Stanley Park" Apt Bulletin: Journal of Preservation Technology, Vol.42, No.4, 3-9: Kalman, H., and Whitehead, L. 2011.
- "A Monte Carlo Method for Assessing Color Rendering Quality With Possible Application to Color Rendering Standards" Proceedings of the 2010 CIE 2nd Expert Symposium on Appearance, Gent, Belgium: Whitehead, L. and Mossman, M. September 2010.
- "Comparing Lighting Quality Evaluation of Real Scenes with Those from High Dynamic Range and Conventional Images" ACM Transactions on Applied Perception, Vol.7, No.2 Article 13: G. R. Newsham et al. February 2010.
- "Electrochemical Threshold Conditions During Electro-Optical Switching of Ionic Electrophoretic Optical Devices" Applied Optics, Vol.48, No.6. 1062-1072: Whitehead, L., et al. 12 February 2009.
- "Demonstration of A Cost-Effective Approach To Core Daylighting" Solar Energy 82: Whitehead, L., et al. April,2008.
- "A Simple Function for the Description of Near-Exponential Decays: The Stretched or Compressed Hyperbola" American Journal of Physics Teachers, Vol.77, 173-179: Whitehead, L., et al. 7 October 2008.
- "Observations of TIR at a natural super-hydrophobic surface" Physics in Canada, Vol.64, No.1, : Whitehead L. et al. January-March Winter, 2008.
- "Cost-effective controlled illumination using daylighting and electric lighting in a dual-function prism light guide" Lighting Research and Technology, Vol.40, : Rosemann A. et al. March 2008.
- "Photometric Image Processing for High Dynamic Range Displays" Journal of Visual Communication & Image Representation 18, 439-451: Trentacoste, M. et al. 2007
- "Variable diffraction gratings using nanoporous electrodes and electrophoresis of dye ions" Proc. of SPIE Vol. 6645: Hrudey P. et al. September 2007.
- "Efficient dual-function light guide to enable cost-effective core daylighting" Leukos Vol.3 No.4, 259-276: Rosemann, A. et al. April 2007.
- "A new model of protein-adsorption kinetics derived from simultaneous measurement of mass loading and changes in surface energy" American Chemical Society: Clark, A.,
Kotlicki, A., Haynes, C. and Whitehead, L. February 2007.
- "Liquid transport based on electrostatic deformation of fluid interfaces" Journal of Applied Physics 99: Aggarwal, J et al. 2006.
- "Jack O’Lanterns and Integrating spheres: Halloween physics" American Association of Physics Teachers Vol.74 No.6: Mossman, M., Whitehead, L. June 2006.
- "Novel fiber-based integrating sphere for luminous flux measurements" Review of Scientific Instruments Vol.77: Szylowski,
M., Mossman, M., Barclay, D., Whitehead, L. June 2006.
- "Novel electrophoresis mechanism based on synchronous alternating drag perturbation" Electrophoresis 26, 82-90: Whitehead, L.A. et al. 2005.
- "Controlled frustration of TIR by electrophoresis of pigment particles" Applied Optics Vol.44 No.9 1601-1609: Mossman, M., Whitehead, L. March 2005.
- "High Dynamic Range Display Systems" - Siggraph Etech 2004: Whitehead, L. and Seetzen, H. et al. 2004.
- "A novel reflective image display using total internal reflection" Elsevier 25 215-221: Mossman, M., Kwong V.H., & Whitehead, L. 2 November 2004.
- "Control of reflectance of liquid droplets by means of electrowetting" Applied Optics Vol.43 No.4 808-813: Kwong, V. H., et. al. 1 February 2004.
- "A High Dynamic Range Display Using Low and High Resolution Modulators" SID 03 Digest: Seetzen, H. et al. 2003.
- "A High Reflectance, Wide Viewing Angle Reflective Display Using Total Internal Reflection in Micro-Hemispheres" IDRC 03 : Mossman, M. A. et al. 2003.
- "Lighting Quality Evaluations using Images on a High Dynamic Range Display" Institute for Research in Construction, Proceedings of the ARCC/EAAE Conference on Arthitectual Research, Montreal 1-9: Newsham,
G., Seetzen, H., Veitch, J., Chaudhuri, A., Whitehead, L May 22-25 2002.
- "Novel resonant-frequency sensor to detect the kinetics of protein absorption" American Institute of Physics Vol.73 No.12 4339-4346: Clark, A. J. et al. December 2002.
- "Modulation of retroreflection by controlled frustration of total internal reflection" Applied Optics Vol.41 No.25 5357-5361: Coope, R. J. N. et al. September 2002.
- "Electrical modulation of diffractive structures" Applied Optics Vol.41 No.16 3343-3347: Kwong, V.H. et al. 1 June 2002.
- "Visual Applications of Total Internal Reflection In Prismatic Microstructures" Physics in Canada 329-335: Whitehead, L. A. et al. November - December 2001.
- "New Reflective Display Based on Total Internal Reflection in Prismatic Microstructures" 311-314: Mossman, M. A. et al. 2000.
- "A Proposed Lighting Quality Metric Based on Spatial Frequency Analysis": Samuelson, C.E. Ashdown, I., Kan, P., Kotlicki, A., Whitehead, L.A. 1999.
- "Improved Extractor Design for Modular Light Guides" Journal of the Illuminating Engineering Society 10-15: Whitehead, L. A. et al. Summer 1999.
- "Near Field Photometry of Prism Light Guide Luminaires using a CCD Camera" Journal of the Illuminating Engineering Society 3-9: Whitehead, L. A. et al. Summer 1999.
- "Evaluation of Diffraction Loss in Prism Light Guides by Finite-Difference Time-Domain Field Modeling" Applied Optics Vol. 37 No. 25 5836-5842: Whitehead, L. A. et al.
- "High-efficiency prism light guides with confocal parabolic cross sections" Applied Optics Vol.37 No.22 5227-5233: Whitehead, L. A. et al. August 1998.
- Variable Spacing Diffraction Grating Employing Elastomeric Surface Waves: Whitehead, L. A., Clark, A. August 1998.
- "New Simplified Design Procedures for Prism Light Guide Luminaires" Journal of the Illuminating Engineering Society 21-27: Whitehead, L. A., Hoffman, K. Summer 1998.
- "Microstructured Elastomeric Electromechanical Film Transducer" Journal Acoustical Society of America Vol.103 No.1 389-395 : Whitehead, L. A., Bolleman, B. January 1998.
- "Navigational Range Lights: The Effect of Stimulus Configuration on Alignment Accuracy" Ergonomics Vol.38 No.7 1360-1367: Coren S. et al. July 1995.
- "A Wide Sky coverage Ferrofluid Mercury Telescope" The Astrophysical Journal Vol.424 No.2 L139-L141: Shuter,W. L. H., Whitehead, L. A. April 1994.
- "Light-Distribution Methods for Backlighting LCDs" SID 92 Digest 419-422 : Whitehead, L. deVaal, J. 1992.
- "High Precision Calorimetric Search for Evidence of Cold Fusion using In Situ Catalytic Recombination of Evolved Gases" Journal of Fusion Energy Vol.9 No.2 161-164 : Hayden, M.
E. et al. June 1990.
- "High Precision Calorimetric Apparatus for Studying Electrolysis Reactions" Review of Scientific Instruments Vol.61 No.5 1504-1508: Narger, U. et al. May 1990.
- "A New Device for Distributing Concentrated Sunlight in Building Interiors" Energy and Buildings, Vol.6 119-125: Whitehead, L. A. et al. 1984.
- "Simplified Ray Tracing in Cylindrical Systems" Applied Optics Vol.21 No. 19 3536-3538: Whitehead, L. A. October 1982.
- "New Efficient Light Guide for Interior Illumination" Applied Optics Vol.21 No.15 2755-2757: Whitehead, L. A. et al. August 1982.
- "Split-Ring Resonator For Use in Magnetic Resonance From 200-2000Mhz" Review of Scientific Instruments Vol.52 No.2 213-216: Hardy, W. N., Whitehead, L. A. February 1981.
- "Magnetic Resonance Studies of Gaseous Atomic Hydrogen at Low Temperatures" Physical Review Letters Vol.42 No.16 1042-1045: Hardy, W. N. et al. 16 April 1979.